Friday, January 15, 2016

Garfunkel on the Writing of "Scarborough Fair"

In an exclusive statement to The Cage, Garfunkel revealed the true story behind the composition of the classic song "Scarborough Fair/Canticle".

So I say hi to Paul, and he's like, "Hey, Art, I got a new song." And I'm like, "Cool! How does it go?" And he's doing:

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Cumin, mace, turmeric and clove....

And I'm like, "Whoa!" And he's like, "What's wrong, man?" So I say, "Those words don't sound right. 'Cumin, mace, turmeric and clove.'" And he's all, "What you mean 'they don't sound right'? It's nonsense verse. It could be any words I want. Like in 'The Boxer,' only I'm taking "Lai La Lai-Lai Lai la Lai-Lai lai-lai lai-lai lai-la-lai' to a whole new level. I'm thinking I could make a whole career outta writing nonsense lyrics."

And I'm like, "Well, maybe, but I might not stick around for that kinda crap, you know?" And he just shrugs his shoulders and goes, "Suit yourself, dude." And I'm like, "Anyway, wouldn't some other spices be better, like 'Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme'?" And he's all, "Are you out of your mind?"

But I guess the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment